Friday, July 10, 2009

DIY Brides Make Your Own Wedding Cake

When I got married I saw a cake similar to this in a magazine and decided, being the bold bride to be I was, to try to make it myself. First I'll show you the finished product.





Later on I'll tell you how to make it! First tell me how much you think this would cost in stores!

F.Y.I. This is a GREAT project for you and your bridesmaids and the cake will keep 3 days out of the fridge because it's preserved by the fondant! USE ALL THE PRECAUTIONS YOU'D NORMALLY USE WHEN HANDLING FOOD. WASH YOUR HANDS AND DON'T CROSS CONTAMINATE!

This cake served 125 people! This is what you're going to need:

6-8 Boxes Of Your Favorite cake Mix ( I used Betty Crocker French Vanilla) $10.00

Pam Cooking Spray $3.00

A recipe for your Favorite Frosting ( I decided on Buttercream) $DEPENDS

-----You can purchase the frosting but I think homemade goes on so much easier!

A set of 3 Sizes of Round Baking Pans, 12", 10",8" (I purchased these at Joanns ) $15.00

6-8 12" Dowel Rods $2.00

Food Coloring $3.00

A 5lb Box of Ready To Use Wilton Rolled Fondant $22.00

1 15" Cardboard Cake Round (to support the bottom) $3.00

1 Fondant Rolling Pin $15.00

1/2" Pipe $UNKNOWN

1 needle

1 exacto knife $3.00

You're supplies could cost you approximately $80.00, but, you should have some of these things at home already!

__________________________________________________

**The first thing you want to do is follow the directions on your cake mix boxes. Pour the mix into your 12", 10" and 8" cake pans and follow the baking directions on your box. Remove from pans and place on cooling rack. You'll need to do this once more to get enough cake rounds to make 3 double layer cakes.

**While the cakes are baking this is the best time to mix your frosting. Follow the recipe of your choice and mix enough to cover (2) 12", 10" and 8" cake rounds. Also, while you're doing this it's time to roll out your fondant. You'll need to cut 3 circles 3-4 inches larger than the cake pan sizes out of the rolled fondant.

**Use the left over fondant to form the shapes you desire to decorate your wedding cake with. I turned the leftover fondant into a ball and used the green food coloring a few drops at a time and kneaded it until I reached the desired color of the pears. I did the same for the stems of the pears, the vines on the cake, and the center of the flowers, and the flowers using the appropriate food coloring. Once each of these colors have been formed start on your shapes.

**For the pears I worked them around in my hands until I got the shape I desired and set them aside. To get the vines I rolled them along a non-stick surface and set them aside. To make the flowers I used a small 1/2" pipe to cut out the circles and them used a needle to shape the curves in the flower and the petal marks. For the leaves I shaped these each uniquely and used the needle to trace the marks in the leaves.

**Finally each piece of the cake is ready to be assembled. Start at the bottom with the largest cake. Set the 12" cake on the 15" cardboard cake round. Ice with the frosting. Add the 2nd layer of 12" round cake and ice with the frosting. Now gently lay the largest fondant circle over the iced 2 layer cake. Smooth the top and drape over the sides until the bottom layer of the cake is fully covers. Use exacto knife to trim the excess. Repeat these steps for the 2nd layer. Once you get to the third layer stick the dowel rods around in a circle of the top of the cake BEFORE YOU PLACE THE FINAL LAYER OF FONDANT ON.

**Now the cake is fully assembled. It's now time to apply your decorations. The fondant creations should easily stick to the cake, BUT, if you are having an issue simply dip your fingers in water and this will create a little bit of sticky situations and the decorations should apply easier.

**You're done, step back and take a look at your BEAUTIFUL cake. You made it yourself! And it probably cost you 50-75 percent less than retail. Plus, you can tell everyone you made it yourself.

**FONDANT CAN BE FINICKY, IF WHEN YOUR LAYING THE ROUND LAYERS ON YOU GET AIR BUBBLES YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SMOOTH WITH YOUR FINGERS AND A LITTLE WATER. IF THIS STILL DOESN'T WORK THROW A DECORATION ON THAT SPOT ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment